Transgender & non-binary careOur Clinical Treatment Strategy, Modality and Levels of Care
LGBTQ Specialized Care
At Jade, we support you or your loved one’s journey towards a gender experience, expression, and identity that feels comfortable and consensual. We effectively serve our LGBTQ community through understanding the cultural dynamics and diversity that makes each one of us unique. Through positive, inclusive treatment and an affirming staff, Jade ensures that LGBTQ clients receive the superior care that everyone deserves.
Our Programming Includes:
- Breaking down cultural norms around gender and the impact they have on your pursuit towards congruence
- Normalizing and legitimizing your unique and individual journey
- Exploring gender in the context of your background and wider world, which includes race, class, sexuality, age, generation, mental health, and disability
- Identifying how you can navigate the world safely while expressing your gender in ways that feel comfortable and consensual
- Providing a space that is safe and welcoming
- Education on healthier ways to cope with gender dysphoria to reduce distress from mental health and substance abuse.
- Supporting congruence across the complex interrelationship of gender which includes harmony of body, identity, and social dimensions.
- Helping your loved one’s transition as you move towards gender congruence.
Get the help you need today!
We are here to assist. Contact us by phone, email or via our social media channels.
Our experienced staff takes PRIDE in providing affirmative and inclusive care to our LGBTQ community.
At Jade, we effectively serve our LGBTQ community through understanding the cultural dynamics and diversity that makes each one of us unique. Through positive, inclusive treatment and an affirming staff, Jade ensures that LGBTQ clients receive the superior care that everyone deserves.
Our Programming Includes:
- Culturally sensitive relapse prevention planning
- Management of minority stress and stigma on mental health
- Reducing internalized homophobia and transphobia
- Supporting gender identity, expression, fluidity and role
- Development of peer and social supports
- Enhancing resilience through LGBTQ affirming interventions
- Clinical Care & Services incorporating LGBTQ health care needs
Jade utilizes “minority stress treatment principles” when helping LGBTQ individuals. This minimizes the impact of stigma and discrimination that often antagonizes mental health and substance abuse.
Our programming assists in:
- Facilitating emotional awareness, regulation, and acceptance related to identity
- Empowering assertive communication when addressing discrimination and marginalization
- Evaluating and challenging minority stress cognitions that influence self esteem
- Authenticating unique strengths of LGBTQ people
- Providing supportive relationships and community through our LGBTQ alumni community
- Affirming healthy, satisfying expressions of sexuality and gender
At Jade, we strive to provide gender-affirming treatment to the Trans Community. Many transgender people experience gender dysphoria at some point in their lives.
While gender dysphoria is a diagnosis listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), transgender identity is not in the DSM-5, and should not be considered a form of psychopathology.
For most transgender people with or without mental health issues, gender dysphoria is alleviated by achieving a satisfactory level of affirmation of their gender identity through social, legal, and/or evidence-informed gender-affirming health services (Fenway Institute, 2018).
Gender Identity Fluidity
Fluctuations in gender identity and expression are common. Some individuals in the process of discovering their gender identity will eventually identify a single identity; others will have a non-binary gender identity with expression and identity that may or may not vary over time (Fenway Institute, 2018).
Our programming offers support as you begin to conceptualize your identity in a safe and supportive environment.
Colorado Name Change Project: http://www.namechangeproject.org/
National Center for Transgender Equality https://transequality.org/
Transgender Law Center (TLC) https://transgenderlawcenter.org/
Sylvia Rivera Law Project (SRLP) https://srlp.org/
Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund (TLDEF) http://www.transgenderlegal.org/
Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition (MTPC) https://www.masstpc.org/
Trans People of Color Coalition (TPOCC) https://transpoc.org/
Trans Women of Color Collective (TWOCC) https://www.twocc.us/
Black Trans Advocacy https://btac.blacktrans.org/
Trans Latina Coalition https://www.translatinacoalition.org/
Gender Spectrum https://www.genderspectrum.org/
Gender Diversity http://www.genderdiversity.org/
Trans Youth Equality Federation www.transyouthequality.org/
Trans Youth Family Allies (TYFA) http://www.imatyfa.org/
TransTech Social Enterprises https://www.transtechsocial.org/
Transgender American Veterans Association http://www.tavausa.org/
The Trevor Project
Transgender Programs at LGBT Organizations
GLAAD’s Transgender Media Program https://www.glaad.org/transgender
Freedom for All Americans https://www.freedomforallamericans.org/about/our-programs/transgender-freedom-project/
PFLAG Our Trans Loved Ones https://pflag.org/ourtranslovedones
PFLAG Transgender Resources https://pflag.org/search?keys=transgender&type=resource
PFLAG’s Transgender Ally campaign http://www.straightforequality.org/trans
The Task Force’s Transgender Civil Rights Project https://www.thetaskforce.org/tcrp/
Gender Identity Project at the NYC LGBT Center https://gaycenter.org/gip
American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) https://www.aclu.org/issues/lgbt-rights/transgender-rights
Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders (GLAD) Transgender Rights Project https://www.glad.org/work/initiatives/c/transgender-rights-project/
National Center for Lesbian Rights – Transgender Law http://www.nclrights.org/our-work/transgender-law/
L.A. LGBT Center’s Transgender Economic Empowerment Project https://lalgbtcenter.org/social-service-and-housing/transgender/employment
SF Transgender Economic Empowerment Initiative http://transemploymentprogram.org/
TransJustice at the Audre Lorde Project https://alp.org/TransJustice